Trim or not to trim??

Hi Sherry,

I usually trim batting and backing to 1 to 2 " away from the edge of the quilt. I never always know whether my client wants to add a binding or turn the backing to the front as a binding. Also, many quilters like to leave 1/4" of batting visible from edge of quilt; this fills the binding leaving it nice and plump. If you trim exactly level with the edge of the quilt, this can't be done. You could always check with your customer what they want you to do. I think the quilt looks better trimmed when the customer calls - the quilt top is now a quilt!

Every Blessing,

Shelley in Australia

I never trim the quilts unless I am doing the binding and then I go over everything they want ,straight edge,curves,scallops and it is in writing.

I learned my lesson from a fellow quilter. She thought she was doing a nice thing and trimmed a quilt. The cust went NUTS,claimed she ruined,etc. After a huge mess,the cust got the quilt for free. The LA lost $ . The quilt was not ruined,it was a straight trim,no curves or scallops. The cust got a free quilt.

WE both saw the quilt in a show and it won a ribbon because of the quilting.

We both looked at each other and knew she had been HAD!!:(

I trim to clean it up, however I do not go within an inch of the quilt top. That way, the customer knows I haven't touched (cut) their top, yet it's nice and tidy. I tend to make quite a mess of the edges sometimes with checking tension or playing with a shape. I don't want the customer to see all that stuff so I cut it all off. Hope that helps and welcome to the forum. These girls (and guys!!) are beyond fabulous. Talent abounds here and everyone is always there to support, encourage and cheer.

Have a great day.

Tracey:)

I'm of the school of "never never" unless asked too. A lot of my customers brought the backing up to the top for binding and if I trimmed even to the 2" mark it might not be enough.

If asked I did offer this as a freebie as I have the big table and it only takes a couple minutes to do.

I offer to trim and square all my customers quilts for free to promote repeat business. I think they are much more likely to rush home and bind their quilts and then show off my work to their friends. (Almost all my customers HATE squaring quilts as they do not have the necessary space or rulers at home for the job)

I am very careful not to run my border designs too close to the edge so I don't end up unlocking any stitches during the squaring process.

I never trim or square a customer quilt. I go over the top when they bring it to get it quilted and tell them anything I see that might be a problem. I keep the top square as I quilt it. For 1 1/2 cents an inch on an E2E I can't afford to do it. I need to get the next one loaded. (Just make a plan to go on holiday and you get 6 quilts in all at once). Back to the triming thing I think customers should trim their quilts as they want to. I do tack the layers as I advance the quilt so it is much easier for them to bind their quilt. IMHO.

Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

Boy thanks everyone for so much information!

I like Heidi when binding my own quilts I leave the extra until I get the binding on.

But I think I will start asking the customer what they would prefer, and never trim too close unless requested. I have to remove my doodle and tension checking areas at the very least.

Thanks again! I'm loving this forum with all it's various information.

Sherry

I've taken to doing my practice/doodle on a side practice piece. Sometimes the doodling, getting used to the machine again makes a mess that draws in the fabric, I don't want that happening to the quilt. I'm like Heidi, I don't trim till I'm ready to bind, had an experience with string hanging off edge and a bored cat....:D Did not have enough fabric after he had a day with it.

I have gotten the clips for fast removal from the take up bars, makes for easy checking the back for thread loops and nests when setting up and make fabulous throw away cat mats.... Have fun, Pat

I usually do trim close to the edge, because most of my customers seem to want that. I learned it from Myrna F's video, & so far it has been a popular service. I charge a bit extra if t is wonky & really needs squaring up, but most don't. From now on, though, I will ask every time. I did not realize there were that many people out there who liked wider bindings. Thanks all for the tips.

I don't trim. But if there is a huge chunk of batting and backer left over at the bottom I will cut that part away with scissors (while it's still loaded on the frame) so it's not loose and hanging there, but no I don't trim to the edge of the quilt top.

However, Comma,,,, I do make an exception to this for two of my customers. One of them wants me to do it, and the other customer is 80 years old and I do it as a courtesy. I know she likes it. My 80 year old customer is sharp as a tack and a PROLIFIC quilter, gives me lots of quilts to do and she is a VERY good piecer and she is a lovely lovely lady. She is one of my guild members and we spent all day yesterday on a fun guild project. :) I love her so much! :)

And because these ladies are exceptions, I don't charge to trim the edges off. These are two of my best customers and it's just something extra I do for them to show my appreciation for their business.

I don't trim. The exceptions to the rule are a few customers that always have me apply their binding to the quilt. I finish and trim these for them so they are ready to hand or machine sew when they pick them up. They are older ladies and have arthritis which makes it difficult for them to do all the trimming. I don't charge them. I'm just glad they can still hand sew the binding!

Archived