southeast "Peach' group

i'm going to just throw this out and see where it lands. this is something i've been wanting to do for a while...nothing to do but to do it:

at the show this past weekend i talked to ALOT of LAers with tons of brands of machines, who are at various levels of experience...

well, i shared with them them how i wanted to start a LA group meeting thing like the Moxies...and i received positive responses...

so, i've decided to start a southeastern moxie type meeting open to any frame machine quilter, even the 'i want one one day' people.

i'm calling it the peach group (or i'm calling it that til a better name is agreed on)....

i'm opening up my studio as the first meeting place. the only thing i ask is bring something in the finger food group ( a bag of chip ahoys is perfectly fine) and a chair (like the canvas foldy camp type) i have an open floor plan to my house, so i'm confident that i can accommodate a large-ish group (about 15-20) in the living room/dining area.

so here's my next question? how much time in advance would i need to plan for this? i want to do it before the holiday rush sets in...or would after the first of the year be better? for scheduling i'm thinking either once a quarter or bimonthly....whatever works. i was thinking a saturday would work, late morning (for those that will travel). i'll also see if anyone wants to go to one of the LQS....if hotels are needed, there are three right around the corner...

if your interested email me or post and share your thoughts.

i don't want it to be overly formal, just a social thing to meet and chat with other LAers. i promise some playing on Nemo with lots of demos....;)

im excited!!! and i think will be fun.

my email: half_square @ hotmail.com (take out the spaces)

Hi Shannon.

That is wonderful that you will start a group. I just kind of figured that your area already had one.

We, well JoleneK got it started, almost a year ago in this area. Our group is small about 10-12 that do attend.

We meet once a month as that is what the group decided on at the initial meeting. I would get in touch with Jolene as she is the one who handles the monthly notices and coordinates everything. If you want her email, let me know. I'm calling it a very early night tonight as I have to head to Jax in the morning (early) for the quilt show. I guess I could email you with it. I don't think she would mind.

Patty

Shannon - I too think that you are a "Peach" of a lady to offer to start and host your first meeting. Our moxie group meets about every 2 to 3 months depending on everyone's calendar. We always set the next meeting at the one that we are at so that we know at the time if there are major conflicts with our members. We started out meeting after the lunch hour, but we soon discovered that there wasn't enough time to do our show and tell, share tips and maybe learn something new. So that is when we moved the time start at 10 am and we usually end at 3 PM-ish. Of course nothing is written in concrete and we want to stay flexible so that all of the Moxies can have input into our meetings and change things up once in awhile.

If I lived closer to you, I'd be there, but alas, Oregon isn't very close to Georgia. Also, I think "Peach" group is a great name (like my vote stands for anything), if we had thought of that we would be the "Filbert Nuts" - but maybe that fits better for some of us than others. LOLOL:D:D

vivki- VA is only a 5 hour drive....come hang with me for the weekend...

-OR- :D start a group in VA and we can merge groups and have a joint meeting...

the possibiltites are endless and all doors are open....

thanksks patty jo- any ideas/suggestions are welcome....never say never....maybe you'll find yourself on the other side of the mason dixon line one day and come say howdy! i'll even make a pitcher of sweet southern style iced tea :)

first time writer Everyone is oi great here. Now that is said,your idea is wonderful. You have no idea how many times I had and still wish there was someone close here to help me through all this (do not know a thing deal) there is so much to learn Example- when my light went out I did not have a clue so I bough anouther one that did not work I did not know about the little black knob on the Millie that I must have hit and off it went . Before Christmas I think would be great to help all those gift givers help and Lord knows we need it. Bless you. I wish you were in Dallas. I do not know what I would have done without Connie in Lewsiville I waited everyday for her to change here phone # as I was such a pest. She was always so up and the sweetest gal you ever would want to meet. lol Ann

Here in No California we have a group that meets every six weeks. Our last meeting of the year will be October 3rd. We are allowing for the busy season for quilting. Wish I lived closer to you cuz I;d be there in a heart beat, We meet from 12:30 -3.30 and we rent a room at a hotel. We bring snacks and share tons.

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

I wish I lived closer. I think I am 4 hours from Atlanta and I'm about that far from Patty and Jolene. That's too far for a day trip. I'd have the expense of spending the night.

Sylvia, when I get my house back in order and my guest room cleaned, you and Gloria are welcome to come stay the night or 2 and join our meetings.

I'm probably one of the closest to you, 20 miles:D Would love to attend/help, offer brain power, what little I have, etc. I have a really busy schedule but can usually work around it. I did find out today, I'm expecting twin grand-daughters in Jan. (daughter lives in NC) so will need to keep that in mind....

I really enjoy reading about the other groups, can't wait to have our own, I will warn you though, I'm not a lot of help technically, I'm really a beginner BUT my heart is in the right place:P

Be sure to u2u any questions, I'll get back to you right away. PS It only took 2 and half hours longer to get home tonight, Hope the water goes down soon,Pat:o

Hey Shannon, good to hear you are ok. Our group meets about every 3 months. We set a date for the next meeting at the current one. It usually starts at 10 am and goes until everybody get tired. We have a show and tell and then a demo of some new tool or technique. It is a blast. Not everybody makes it everytime. They are always missed. Hope this helps. OH the host (which will be me this time) usually makes a main dish and everybody brings whatever. Lots of yummy deserts.

Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

Shannon with you as a member/leader I know the group will be fantastic! We have a group in NC that meets once a quarter. I know we have members in SC and I think VA too. Having a group is wonderful.

Wish you were closer but it is almost 6 hours from Raleigh to Marietta. I miss Marietta, we lived there when Matt was at GA Tech. Hope you are drying out well and things get back to normal fast.

Archived