Thank You (& a request for help)! (rather long post)

This is a Request for Help and a Thank You!

I've been following this forum for about a year and am a HUGE fan of APQS systems. I've yet to purchase the LA of my dreams, but instead I'm learning all about LA-ing from all of you amazing people. Meantime I upgraded my 25 yr old DSM (Bernina) to a Series8 and what a difference in my sewing happiness! I cannot believe what I've been missing in terms of breadth & depth of stitching capabilities, but, just the same, I know a LA is in my future.

So, first, here is the "Thank You". Posted here are (or will be, if I mess up the initial photo posting), my first attempts at feathers & quilting of what is my 4th quilt. I've been sewing forever, but quilting for just 4 years. And while I'm good at piecing tops and SID quilting, that's been the extent of my talents & bravery!!

I've entered this wall hanging (Jinny Beyer design) in my guild show this week, but would never have progressed this far without all of you. Thank You for ---

1) incredibly helpful hints about MARKING quilts - whew, what a chore, I had NO idea designing & marking was going to consume so much time. I made many decisions & choices and learned a TON in the process. And, thankfully, ALL my marks are gone from the quilt - WHEW!

2) Feathers - OK, these are nowhere near what you wizards can do on your LA systems with all your talent & experience, but I can't tell you how much I've learned from seeing all your wonderful pics & reading all the commentary. Thank you for helping me be Brave!!!!

3) Design - from all the photos & discussions & postings of 'how to quilt this', I've developed new 'eyes' for looking at the quilting.

This is but a beginning for me and I've learned so much in the journey, it's been so much fun. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and talents.

I do yearn to quilt more (hmmm, quit the day job?!) and to quilt better (PPP!), but in the meantime I had to say THANKS cuz you all are my inspiration!

NOW FOR THE HELP part (if you've progressed this far!)

I used wool batting for the first time, I wanted puffy. Well, the result has been a challenge! See the royal blue stripes in the border fabrics, both the wide & narrow border fabric pieces? They are too puffy/wrinkley for my taste, and yet I can't bring myself to quilt anything in that area. Maybe just another straight line in the center? Or leave as is, "it is what it is"? Same with the orange triangles in the paper pieced section near the center, puffy puffy winkley. Do I add more lines to continue the triangle shapes that will bisect (or trisect) the puffiness?

Appreciate any words of wisdom!

Colette in Vermont

Collette,

Thank you so much for letting us know that the Forum has been helpful to you, and welcome! It looks like you are an excellent seamstress and quilter and could teach US a lot, so please do stay! :P Your feathers and all of your quilting is beautifully designed and executed!

I think the quilt is perfect as it is and would not try to reduce any puffiness, or else the integrity of the balanced quilting design might change. I would move on from this quilt onto new projects. There is always some way to improve a project and you have to know when enough is enough! We learn something from each experience and bring that to the next quilt.

I love wool for its texture as well, but you do sacrifice exactness. What wool batting did you use? For wallhangings, I like to use a firmer bottom batt, often Quilters Dream Cottom Select and then the Hobbs Wool on top.

I'm wondering if part of the issue with the puffiness has to do with basting and stabilizing. I would check out Diane Guadinski's books and classes. She is an expert at using wool in quilts, and uses a conventional sewing machine.

Best wishes to you!

Hi, Colette. First congratulations on a beautiful quilt!! You did a wonderful job quilting it. About the blue stripes being too wrinkly, I had the same situation in a quilt I just finished. The strips on my quilt were only 1" wide and I didn't really want to quilt anything in them, but they ended up like yours and I just didn't like it. What I did was to go back and quilt just a straight line 1/4" in on each side of the strip. I didn't think I'd like that, but wow, what a difference it made. I was much, much happier with it after I did that. I'm assuming that your blue strips are probably about 1", so you might try that and see how you like it.

Colette, I am also reading the forum without yet owning a long arm machine. Thank you for expressing my feelings so much better than I could do myself. This forum is the most wonderful collection of caring, creative women! I too learn so much each time I check in.

Your wall hanging is beautiful. I actually find the puffiness appealing, and it is about the same the quilting on the center blue star points.

Cynthia

Collette, I think it's absolutely stunning! That is where I want to be making quilts like that. I have a ways to go though but I'll get there. No expert here but I agree with Oma, I'd leave it as is and be proud! I can see what looks like different textures within the star and surrounding that it blends so well together.

How long have you been quilting? Just curious....I know that everyone quilts on there own time frames or what ever you may call it. Me I'm new to it and soaking up all info I can!

Best Wishes on your entry and hope you win!!

Anita

Your quilt is beautiful, just the way it is. I can only imagine what you could do on an "APQS George". I actually prefer the wrinkled look (antiquish/heirloom) but that's me. I also agree that some of the puffy could be due to the way you basted the quilt. Check out some DSM quilting books for basting techniques.

Thank you all so much, I appreciate the encouragement and wisdom. Early on in the quilting part of the project I suspected my basting efforts were inadequate for the batting I chose, I think you've affirmed my suspicions. I'll seek more knowledge, thanks for suggestions of where to search.

To answer a few of the questions, I've been quilting for 3 years, this was a planned exploration to stave off the potential downsides of my (then) pending empty nest. I've always loved sewing and now could not be happier learning about the quilt and fiber arts world. And my son is very happy at college so I'm twice blessed. (and here I have to credit my DH who loves to cook so I get to appreciate a bit more time sewing than most full time working gals - now I just need a clever solution to those pesky dirty bathrooms and ever multiplying dust bunnies...)

I can tell you I think about the George (and the bigger machines!) while I'm working on my DSM, but I also ponder the exquisite results of people like Cindy Needham who also sews on a DSM. I took 2 classes from her at VT Quilt Festival this year. She'd just returned from a multi-day session with Diane Gaudynski and couldn't have been a more enthusiastic teacher (and a TOTAL inspiration) about dealing with a variety of thread no matter what your machine. She also shared some of Diane's lovely techniques, the ginko I used in my quilt center. Probably it was a little too dense quilting but I truly couldn't resist the pattern.

For batting, I used QD wool Select. I'd hoped to use a half layer coupled with a firmer batting but I couldn't get the hang of how to separate the wool layers. I read a recent post about using a ruler to keep the layers separated, I'll try that next time.

As a last note, I went through a lot of start/stop cycles on this project. When I was frustrated and refused to make a decision how to proceed, I'd avoid the project for many days. Then I'd remind myself of the end date (quilt show due date) and just picked the best pathway I could envision and plunged along best I knew how. I mention this to encourage other beginners who may have my obsession to produce greater results than skills allow. And the wise women here have spoken: leave it and move on, there's more to learn around the next corner.

Thank you all for all the encouragement! Keep posting your pictures, I study them...after I finish gazing with delight and awe!!

Colette in Vermont

Archived