What do you think--splitting fees with LQS

Hi everyone,

recently, a LQS has approached me to see if I'd be interested in doing some of their quilting since they are backed up--they only do pantos for their customers.  The offer is that we'd split the cost 50/50: they'd be responsible for intake, provide the panto and the thread, and I would do the work.  Does this seem equitable?  for example, a 69x90 quilt could range anywhere from $60-110 depending on the total, and I would get half of that.  Typically, I quilt for myself and for friends, so I have no real customer base.  

Interested in your thoughts!  Thanks!

Hi Mandy,

I feel strongly that if you are doing the quilting, you should be paid for your time. Meaning you should receive all the monies that would be paid.

If you need to use there Panto and thread,  something else could be worked out.

She should be grateful that you want to help her out. If she can not do the work for her customers, they may go elsewhere.

She should also be giving you credit and telling her customers that someone else is doing the quilting.

Others may disagree, but so be it.

50/50 doesn't seem like enough to me.  i understand that it is their customers, but you are doing the work and putting wear/tear on your equipment.  besides, you are helping them to keep their customers happy. they should pay you more for that. it isn't worth the stress to quilt a panto and only receive $30-55 per quilt.  

Mandy, your example shows quilting that ranges from about 1 cent to 1.75 cents an square inch, so you would be making a half a cent to three quarters of a cent per square inch AND providing your expensive machine and time to quilt. There would be only one way I would do this and that would be that the customer receives an invoice that shows who actually did the quilting and contact information of that person (you) so you could potentially gain a customer down the road. No way would I use my expensive machine with no credit or way to gain a customer through this experience. Just my half a cent thought.  :P

That's what I am thinking, too.  I think I will tell her that her price doesn't take into account what you all have said and a few other things (driving to pick up quilts, etc).  It's not worth my time or the wear and tear on my machine.

Mandy~

Question,...You state that you only quilt for yourself and a few friends, with no real customer base.

Are you looking to turn this into a Business?

If so, this could be a great way to get your name out.

I would think the offer is a starting point.

They obviously think Highly of you to ask you to quilt for them.

(I own a shop, I would NEVER ask someone to quilt for me, If I didnt respect their work)

Let them know what You would like and see where it goes from there.

Keep us posted and Good Luck.

Happy Quilting,

Laura

I agree with Laura's thinking up there that this could be a great entry point.

The tricky part would be negotiation of an increase in your percentage at some point.  The nice thing is you'll get a lot of work being affiliated with a quilt shop.  The down side is they are usually small operations that don't have a lot of extra money to pay employees.  ESPECIALLY if the machine is YOURS.  50/50 doesn't account for wear and tear on your machine...although if you work for them as an employee and aren't responsible for licensing yourself or collecting taxes it might be a great way to make money without a lot of commitment.

Laura, that's a very good point.  I got my machine so that I could finish my things more quickly.  I would probably be considered a quilter in the "modern" movement, and wanted to be able to finish my things in the way I wanted them.  My focus is largely on pattern design and writing (have a book proposal in the works), and the quilting is more of in the nature of a related business as opposed to the main business.  That said, I'm just getting going on all aspects, so *any* income is nice...  I'll go in tomorrow and see where the conversation goes.

I'm with Laura on this one.  I got my business started by quilting a sample for my LQS for free.  I have 22 steady customers that were sent to me from that one quilt.  Any customer you quilt for at 50% could likely become a customer paying 100% the next time.  Good luck!

50/50 isn't enough.  I don't think you should split the cost with the shop owner at all.  The shop owner benefits by having your customers drop off and pick up their quilts in her shop.  It draws quilters into the shop where they are likely to spend money.  My LQS owner is happy to provide her shop for drop off/pick up to any long arm quilter for that reason.

Buy your own supplies and thank the LQS owner for her referrals.

I realize that you may not at this time have a quilting bus. going and this would be extra cash but the 50/50 just doesn't add up, at least to me. I admit I am the slowest quilter likely in the world, but even pantos take time, and you could potentially spend hours of valuable time for very little compensation. To me, 25/75 would be a better way to go. After all, she needs you. Just my thoughts. K

no way.

If anything, you've identified there is an opening in your market for longarm quilting. Start promoting yourself and the customers who are told they have a long wait at the shop will seek you out. Don't burn the bridge with the shop owner but explain that you've run the numbers and, for your business, you just can't make it work at 50/50. As a business I have overhead too, just as your shop owner does. Getting paid only 50% of total wouldn't cover my overhead. There is more to be paid for than just your time. 

I agree with several above that 50/50 is not enough.  This is an opportunity for you if you are looking to start your own business and I know you want to keep a working relationship with your LQS, but they are getting 50% of the quilt for just referring someone to you and providing the thread?  The amount you would get would be just above what I charge for loading a quilt.....what about your time and talent?  As Angela said, you can let the shop know that the numbers just won't work for you but that you can help them out by taking on some of their customers while they are so busy, (if you are wanting to quilt for business).  People can and will try out differant quilters and if you are in business you want to gain a customer base of those who are raving fans of your quilting.  So those who really like you and your work will come back to you. 

It just seems like a no-win proposition.  I have heard of a 50-50 swap in the past - but the quilter was doing the quilting on the shop's machine.   50-50 doesn't cover your overhead for using your machine.  If you are looking to start a business that focuses on quilting, you don't want any bad blood between you and the shop if some of its customers decide to use you instead down the road.

If you do decide to talk with the shop, you could ask how many quilts they need you to quilt.  You could go 50-50 on the first 2 or 3 quilts and then up the percentage so that at least 75 to 80 percent goes to you.  The shop owner may turn you down based on her own monetary needs - but that's fine; it's business and not personal.

Best wishes. 

Lynn

Even if you are wanting to build a client list, getting 50% doesn't seem fair when you are using your machine, have to pick up and return the quilts, etc.   I'd bargain for a higher percentage and see what happens.  Maybe start out 50/50 and then increase with each quilt ???   

I helped a quilting friend out a couple years ago.   She has a small shop in her home and does some long arm quilting for others.   She broke her foot and couldn't be on it for several weeks - just before Christmas - when she had 3 or 4 quilts needing to be done for gifts.   I offered to help do them, she asked the customers if they wanted to do that or wait until she was able..........most wanted their quilts done and I got paid the full amount that Fay normally charged.   I also had to drive 10 miles to her home to pick up and return the quilts, but I was happy with the arrangement and helped her out in the process.   

I have to chime in here since I was in a situation where I quilted for a LQS.  I was independent and thought this would be a good way to get some exposure.  However, she never did tell the clients that I was doing the quilting. 

I quilted about 20 quilts for her before I decided that it wasn't worth it.  I had started out just doing panto's and then she was having me do custom borders with panto centers..then it went to full custom, all this was for the same pay.  One quilt I spent over 20 hrs on and was paid $44 !  right then I told her I wouldn't be quilting for her anymore. :angry:   Never looked back and I have all of the business that I want just by word of mouth. 

I don't see how this will build any business for you in the future if your quilt shop is not telling people who quilted their quilt, and how to contact you.  The only one this is a "good deal" for is the quilt shop.  It is NOT a fair deal for you.  If you want to quilt for others, the best way is to join a guild and show your work there.  A more experienced quilter told me early on that you can  do 10 quilts and get $50 per quilt, or you can quilt one $500 quilt.  The money is the same, so which would you rather do.  You don't come out ahead by quilting for less than your work is worth, no matter what the circumstances are.  If you would not quilt for a customer of your own for a half cent per square inch, then you are gaining nothing by quilting for the quilt shop for that rate.  I personally think the shop owner has a lot of nerve even asking you to. 

Nope!  50/50 doesn't cut it.  You are doing her the favor because she is over-loaded.  If I were the shop owner, I wouldn't expect a thing, but that's just kinda how I think.  I don't want to take advantage of anyone.  I think referral business is great.  When I'm busy, I have other longarmers I refer customers to if I can't get it done when they need it.  I don't ask for anything, nor do they when they refer someone to me.  I just want to help my customer out.  They still come back to me the next time.   A lot of quilters in my area have gone to computer quilting and no longer do custom so they refer custom jobs to me.  I think the shop is kinda in the position of thinking if it weren't for them you wouldn't have the quilt, which may be true, but it still remains that she asked you to help her out.  That's awesome of her and speaks well of you, but it's also your time, wear and tear and eletricity, etc.  The flip side is people will be getting their quilts done and hopefully buying fabric for the next project.  I think I would want a more equitable percent.  Maybe 10% to her for giving you the business? 

Archived