Learn from my failure

I just ordered and received an external hard drive for my computer -- NOW that it's too late to save all my files. A virus wiped them all out -- even though I had virus protection -- I still lost everything. All my quilt pictures, all my quilt forms -- price sheets, work sheets, etc.

The external hard drive I purchased is 250 GB -- same size as my computer hard drive. When I ordered mine, Iomega had them on sale but you can still get one for $79.

http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/external-hard-drive-portable/?partner=4760

BACK IT UP. An external hard drive is much easier than formatting and copying to CDs.

Oooh NOOOOOOOOOO! :( This is awful.

But...before you throw in the towel, give your local Computer Geeks a call to see if they can recover the files from your damaged hard drive. It is quite possible... Oh yes... it is quite possible. :)

And ditto on the back up hard drive. Easy peasy!!

Now, call those Geeks. I bet they can fix you up.

I just spent the last week trying to get files from a laptop. I crashed my laptop the minute I installed Service pack 3 on it. What a nightmare. I was able to get some files off but not all. (lost pictures and some embroidery designs) I am sick about it, so I can feel your pain.

Oh Georgene, I am so sorry for you. Maybe someone can help you on here. I think one of the forum member's DH got Doodle Bugs stuff back. I also learnt the hard way about back up but I was so stupid, I bought an external hard drive but never got around to using it and guess what, the computer crashed, I used all my sailor words on myself:mad:

I now have a back-up on all 3 of my computers and put all my designs (embroidery/long arm) on thumb drives so I have double protection. Has anyone tried those "online back-ups"? I know Best Buy offers it.

Sorry to hear that you have lost your files. I remembered reading something that Liam had posted when Shannon lost her files about a way to recover them. If you go to the thread below and scroll down to Liam's second entry he gives the name of a website that may be of help to you.

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=18008&page=2

I wonder where Liam is, we haven't heard from him in a while.

Sue

I use Carbonite, recommended to me by Ellen Munich, another pattern digitizer. She had several hard drives and external hard drives crash within a few weeks. She then went looking for off-site storage and after a lot of research settled on Carbonite.

It is SO easy to use, and backs up the files you want automatically every time you make a change to them. Even when I move files around, I can see Carbonite at work updating them.

My old Dell was overheating, slowing down and crashing too often, so I bought a new HP dv7. LOVE it! But I was dreading the idea of transferring all my files from the old to the new.

After installing all my software on the HP, I went to Carbonite and logged in just to ask if I could transfer my license to the new computer. Quite by accident I saw a button that said "Recover My Files", and clicked on the button. It immediately started downloading all the files, pictures etc. to my new computer.

I just continued on with my work and I guess Carbonite was working in the background because after 2 days! I got a notice that all my files were downloaded. YES, I had a LOT of pictures on my old Dell.

I just renewed my membership with Carbonite and bought a 3 year package. I'll never be without it again! I don't have to even think about backing up my computer because it's done automatically. There will be a little gold circle on the file while it's being backed up and a green circle when it's finished. This happens quite quickly. If I notice a file without any circle I just right click on it, then click on Carbonite, then "Back up this file". Easy Peasy!

I alsoo had my hard drive die and was able to get the files and pictures of our fabulous trip to Yellowstone back!!! I was told by one computer place that it would be $800-1000+ but it was only $85 at another place!! Guess the first place thought they had a real dummy and would get my $$. I figured $1000 would go a long ways towards another trip!! Anyway Georgene, give the geeks a try!!!

Ladies,

Cross your fingers. I have downloaded the software at that site mentioned: recovermyfiles.com

It is finding files. I'll let you know the results. I'd gladly pay the $69 for the software if it can recover even a few of my quilt forms that took me hours to design. Not to mention the quilt pics.

Interesting about Carbonite. I have checked into it and PC Magazine did not give it the best rating. I just purchased a 1 terrabite External hard drive from Futureshop.ca for $105.00, big enough to back up all 3 of my computers and still have room. But.....nothing is fool proof and i will have a look at carbonite again.

Georgene Please check with your Business insurance Agent to see if Hard Drive recovery is included in your policy. I just got my Business Policy and was very happy to learn this service is automatically included. Had my agent not pointed this feature out I'd never known as I'm not one to read all the fine print.:)

Good Luck,

Terry

Please do all consider off site back up. There are so many things that can happen to you home and computer and this is one thing you can protect. There are many online options or exchange external drives with a friend. If you each buy two and back up regularly, each time you see each other swap the disks again so you always have a recent backup of the other persons computer.

Good luck on the recovery process. If the software doesn't do it do consider getting a professional in. there is a lot that can be done to recover data. Often just having a computer with a different OS look at it can be enough.

Ferret

Here comes Mother Grimm....

I've thougt about this for quite a while this afternoon..

My question, statement, comment, scrambled brain syndrome and all is this.

If apqs can crash, if BHG can crash, if our computers can crash from a virus, trojan, worm, whatever, would you really trust an internet site to hold all your back ups?

I for one wouldn't. Id rather spend a few min and download to disk, to have in my greedy little paws,

Good lu8ck to one and all.

Ritar

I would trust an internet site as one of my backups yes, and I would rather have an off site backup of any kind than one in the house. Fire, flood, theft......... A good internet backup company will have severs in at least two data centres in two locations. Heck I have servers in three data centres for my business after I got fed up with my ISP being unreliable.

It is worth asking an internet backup company what redundancy they have, how many data centres they are in and how they maintain data consistency across the sites.

Ferret

Originally posted by RitaR

...... If apqs can crash, if BHG can crash, if our computers can crash from a virus, trojan, worm, whatever, would you really trust an internet site to hold all your back ups?

Ritar

Possible Solution: Make a back up in more than one place (make 2 backups that are completely unrelated/unattatched -- e.g. 1) internet site, 2) thumb drive, burn to a CD and/or 3)external hard drive.) In other words, don't put all your eggs in one basket. And don't keep them all in the same place. Like if your house burned down you would have a back up some place else.

One thing to think about when doing off site backups is how secure is their site. If you keep your bank information or personal data in your computer and you're doing an off site backup, is the off site backup encrypting you personal information before they back it up and are they PCI compliant? If they aren't, you are exposed to them and others....Mercedes

Archived