Gammill or APQS?

I am looking at purchasing a longarm for a small in home business. I'm looking at Gammill and APQS. Could someone offer some pros and cons on the two machines?

Also, any thoughts on the Statler stitcher vs. Compuquilt vs. Intelliquilt? And last but not least, any thoughts on the various accounting softwares for longarm businesses? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gammill heads are made in Taiwan, I think; APQS is made entirely in Iowa.

Both have great customer service, I've heard. I know FOR SURE APQS does!!!

Statler is specific for Gammill (again, I think); Compuquilter and Intelliquilt fit to several different brands of machines.

MQBM ( Machine Quilters Business Manager) all the way for software!!

Don't Leave Homesteader out of the line up. I was able to have several of my comm. service quilts quilted on one, and they also sound less noisy than many other machines.. They also have a nice little computer unit to fit on it, or on the APQS, for a very nice price, on both.

You can see them at www.TheQuiltingSolution.com

Jewnnifer and Dave are wonderful people, and easy to work with, very knowledgeable.

RitaR

Where are you located Stephanie. Have you test driven either machine? Both machines are good machines, there are differences in each, one may suit you better than the other. It is best to try out both and see what feels right to you.

Also check out warranty and customer service/sales rep support.

APQS is traveling around the country doing Roadshows and bringing the machines to the customer. There are several locations scheduled for March. Go the the main page and then events-roadshows. You can see dates and locations. This is a great tool to learn more about the APQS machines, test drive them and learn about the business end of quilting and suppliers. We will be doing one here in my studio in the Fl panhandle at the end of the month if you happen to be in the south.

Good luck in your research and feel free to contact any of us reps, or a rep in your area, with any questions.

My first machine was purchased from Gammill. When I was ready to upgrade, I stopped into their show room but couldn't get anyone to talk to me. Left a bad taste in my mouth so when I did get that Cadi- I went with APQS. Great folks to work with.

I have a Gammill Optimum Plus and love it! I purchased the Plus because of the extra reach it gives me! At 6'1", I can easily handle a longer reach and less rotations. And I can adjust my 14' table for depth, as well. I've never had a problem with anything. My rollers are smooth, canvas is great, head rides smooth, etc. When I had to move my whole set up this past summer, I had to reset the timing (guys!) but learned very easily with the manual beside me. It only took minutes! I've been very pleased and the support is good, as well. I would have loved to have had the Statler, which is for the Gammill, but the difference in the money was not justifiable for me. One piece of advice, if you are thinking of a Statler, do not buy a Gammill to later have adapted to a Statler. I went MQS and inquired. They told me it would cost quite a bit more...can't remember but it was A LOT....PLUS they would have to strip my head and rewire. It was like buying another longarm and throwing this one away! In my case, we felt it was not worth it. Just bypass that thought if you are thinking of later converting. We stopped and talked to the QBot people and was impressed with their add-on. But I am still not sold on the computerized quilting yet. I still enjoy the freehand style. I hope that helps. Any questions, you can email me at cook.rhonda@gmail.com and I can get back to you. :)

Both machines are very, very nice! I suggest that you test drive both of them. Take your time. Go to a show(s) or a dealer's place and spend a few hours on each machine.

I use Quickbooks for my business. My CPA uses Quickbooks so, when tax time comes, I can just give her my business data files electronically on the USB flash drive and she can take it from there.

Before you dive into a business, do your research, ground work. Visit your local SBDC or SCORE office. Get advice from local professionals who help get small businesses started. Write a business plan. Know that there are a lot of up front costs to get started. Take your time. :) Expect to take at least 2 years (maybe more?) to see a profit. Be pragmatic with your goals. Best wishes to you and follow your dreams!

I agree you should try the different machines! It's important! I was fortunate enough to be able to get to APQS, Gammill and Nolting to speak to people and watch demos and listen to teachers and then SEW, SEW, SEW! All of which are very important when you are trying to make an intelligent choice that involves some serious money. Good luck!

I believe the Gammill machines are touchier about their thread. If you like the heavier threads, Gammills are fine with that. If you like the finer threads, I know several people who are frustrated with trying to use them on their Gammills. Maybe that is a user issue, I don't know. I went with the APQS machine because they really seemed to want my business. There is a 8 year warranty, which impressed my husband. I will probably never get a computerized system, so that wasn't an important consideration for me. The machine came with automatic fabric advance, which was a nice extra that is way more handy than I ever figured it would be. I liked that it was made in the US, also. I am very happy with my choice.

both are very nice machines, no doubt about that. the apqs machine felt lighter to drive ~ that is not based on any fact - just how it felt to me.

i chose apqs for the following reasons:

better warranty

made in the usa - very important to DH

they were VERY MUCH more timely in responding to my inquiries about thier machines which made me feel more comfortable with them in case i should have any problems

that's all i can say about the matter - but i am happy with my choice so far!

This is the kind of questions that can bring out the worst in a chat :) I'm sure that is not the intent. We are on the APQS Chat, so of course most dealers and owners are going to want you to purchase APQS. This is such a great company because they do not limit you to the type of machine you have to use this chat. You will get many, many different people participating with this topic, some have had other machines and changed, some have had bad experiences with one or the other company. I agree with those who have said try out all machines. You need to know in your mind that you have made the best decision possible, this is no cheap investment. I personally like my Millie, and for me it has been the best choice....so far.

There are always new machines on the market, there are always new devices being introduced by these companies tweaking their machines and adding new features to intice us. I may change someday....or not! But it is up to me to make that decision. Go to the shows. Try out the machines....every single one. Find the machine that works for you.

See this nice friendly helpful warm nurturing funny encouraging forum sponsored by APQS? Open to all and helpful to all, no matter what you own or hope to own.

Gammill doesn't have anything like it. They do have a site which will allow you to register IF you already own a Gammill. I bet there is a load of helpful info there--but I will never know!!:P

I love my APQS and you will not get a hard-sell here--just replies from lots of happy owners. Almost all will encourage you to make your own decision based on your needs and opinions after trying as many as you can find. Even if you pick another brand, you are welcome here!

Stephanie,

I'll just tell you why I chose APQS. CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!! They are a great company to deal with and they build what I think is the best machine on the market. I've had my machine for 2 1/2 years now and don't regret buying it at all! I love it. I drove both machines and did lots of research on all the machines. To me the APQS handled the best and felt right for me. I'd suggest you do the same thing. I love everything about my machine and if I were to buy again I would definitely only buy APQS.

I'm a very happy APQS owner, but I test drove many machines before buying. I really like the stitch quality on the APQS machines and the relative ease of checking tension while a quilt is in progress.

As the others have noted, both companies sell great machines. Test drive as many as you can before writing a check. Whatever you buy, this forum is welcoming to quilters of all skill levels. You can learn so much here.

Have fun with the process.

Lynn

I have a Gammill Premier Plus and have been very pleased. I went with a Gammill for a few reasons...in my area there are no APQS dealers (that I know of) and most LA quilters in my area have Gammills. (I thought it might be benefical in case I have troubles) But I have a wonderful rep who lives a few hours away so that was a plus. I bought mine through a family owed company in Stevensville, MI (not sure if I can/should mention their name..)

Just a note...I didn't try out any other machines...there aren't many in my area

However I agree with someone else who posted about Gammills forum....it is nothing like this APQS forum. I can't tell you how much info. I have gotten from here! You all have been great!

Hi Stephanie,

I remember being in your shoes all too well. The last thing you want to do is rush into a decision that you are unhappy with. There are pros and cons to both Gammill and APQS machines.

You need to create yourself a list of all the features that really matter to you and prioritize them. Then get your hands on each machine and pay attention to those things that matter most to you. Choose the machine that scores highest on your check list.

During my research I felt the most important factors were stitch quality, machine handling and warranty. These were the three things I was looking for when I test drove the machines. Here is a blog post of my results.

http://manquilter.wordpress.com/2010/02/07/my-reasons-for-choosing-an-apqs-longarm-quilting-system-over-all-the-competition/

Good luck with your research and if you have any questions there are loads of us willing to answer your questions.

Welcome Stephanie..and just know that we here on the APQS forum are more than happy to assist in any way possible.

I am one who never test drove a machine...nor had ever even seen a true longarm before mine! Mark at APQS was very helpful in my decision to buy my Green Millennium. APQS stands behind their products and is made in the good ole USA. That was very important for me. I love my machine and couldn't imagine owning anything other than an APQS.

But, as has already been mentioned, try them all and decide for yourself. You will still be welcome here no matter which machine you choose to drive! :)

Originally posted by lcquilting

I have a Gammill Premier Plus and have been very pleased. I went with a Gammill for a few reasons...in my area there are no APQS dealers (that I know of) and most LA quilters in my area have Gammills. (I thought it might be benefical in case I have troubles) But I have a wonderful rep who lives a few hours away so that was a plus. I bought mine through a family owed company in Stevensville, MI (not sure if I can/should mention their name..)

Just a note...I didn't try out any other machines...there aren't many in my area

However I agree with someone else who posted about Gammills forum....it is nothing like this APQS forum. I can't tell you how much info. I have gotten from here! You all have been great!

Forgot to list my pros and cons...

Pros...

channels locks

ease of working from front and back

single stitch/needle positioner

head is heavy duty, great lighting too

built on bobbin winder (use it all the time)

ease of moving stylus

Cons...

other then wishing for a bigger unti..can't think ong any off hand

I'm on my second APQS....it was the customer service for me....it was WAY before the forum started...but now if I was to start over it would be this forum as well as the customer service and no hard sells. WE all love our machines for different reasons, so I echo...you need to get your hands on one and try it out.

I'm really liking the new Gammill Vision......APQS or Gammill. hmmmm tough call!

What's the difference between the Statler sticher and compuquilter or IQ?

Is any one product superior when it comes to computer quilting? Just curious.

To each his own. I researched for 3 years. The prodigy people were impossible, i decided if they can't follow thru b4 the sale what about afterwards? Yes i know Sharon Shaumberg uses one but she is EXTREMELY gifted and would do well with any machine. The gammill people seemed nice at the Show's but the machine just did not feel right for me (to each his own). I went to 2 roadshows on the Millenium. Deloa did one and the cute guys did the other. I talked and talked with the people in Iowa. They were all great. Then there was this forum. Apqs lets ANYONE on, The members are fabulous. I wouldn't trade my millenium for any machine. When i took the free class i tried the other APQS machines and liked them all. When i first got my machine i must have driven them nuts in Iowa but they always answered my calls and treated me with respect. The machines are made here in America which is a huge plus to me.( i checked out the factory) APQS are the best in my opinon for what it is worth!

I'd say buy the local rep, if you like both machines equally. Ideally try as many machines as you can. Then try to meet as many of the people who will be your first line of support as possible. If you can't meet them why not? Will they be there when you need them? You need to find not only the machine that suits but also be sure there will be support there when you need it.

Good luck

Ferret

I too had a hard time making my decision before finally going with the Millenium. I didn't like the stitch on the Gammil because the bottom thread would show on the top. I took some classes and the teacher couldn't get it to hide. She had it correct when she first started, but then the bottom kept coming to the top. I can use two different colors on top and bottom and you can't see either thread on the other side.

The APQS is a four pole system while the Gammil uses three poles. The front pole is low so you can't see underneath your quilt when you're working. I'm always looking under there to check bobbin tension and stray threads, so that was a big issue for me.

You've received the best advice on this forum. Check out both systems for ease of use and thread tension. Good luck with your choice.