When quilting do you sit or stand?

I'm really new to this long arm world of fun. But one thing that keeps coming to mind is sitting while quilting. Do you stand or do you sit when you are quilting? If you sit, what do you sit on? I've only finished 2 quilts and a couple of practice quilts, but the thought of sitting is starting to occur more and more. I don't have a stool in the house that is a good height so I can try. Just wondering what all you wonderful quilters out there do.

I used to stand and do all my quilting but since my recent back injury,I have learned to do most of it sitting down. I have the adjustable rolling chair that rolls on a mat with a raised rail that the rollers fit onto I ordered mine when I purchased my first Gammill. Have since switched to a Milleneum.Still have to rake frequent breaks but it really saves your back and legs!There are many other options out there. Becky

I stand, on a gel Chef's mat that I got at Bed Bath and Beyond. It's about 6 feet or so long, and I try to wear shoes with good support.

I've been looking at rolling saddle stools to use for some custom work where I am staying in one place, quilting a dense fill. Dick Blick has one that is reasonably priced, I think it was around $50.

I mostly sit while quilting, even doing panto's from the back. I love my saddle stool. That being said one of the best things I added to my machine is my hydraulic lift. I can make small adjustments and that takes the stress off my back and neck. When I'm standing I can put my lift up high and sitting lower. I wouldn't do without my lift or my saddle stool.

Originally posted by BunkHouseQuilts

I stand 100% of the time. I have a 12 ft. industrial mat in front of the machine, ironing table and cutting table. I ordered them from Uline.

Their mats are awesome. I got the Cadillac mat in the thickest thickness and it has made such a huge difference in how I feel while I'm quilting and afterwards, too. Definitely worth the money spent.

I have a back, neck and shoulder injury so I do both depending on what I'm quilting. I have the gel mats which are wonderful and I have a drafting chair that can scoot along with me sitting on it. I can't stand for more than about 20 or 30 minutes and I can't sit with my feet down much longer than that. If they ever make a longarm that you can work while sitting in a recliner I'll be set for sure. :D

This year I want to purchase the Bliss system and a hydrolic lift system for my machine. I know both of those things will make everything better. ♥

Ok sounds like I've been missing a few things here. A stool, skooting along sounds like fun :) Ah an the mats, now that's something that I think I can take care of right away. Thanks everyone, this newbie appreciates it. Oh and today, I used my channel locks for the first time :)

Archived