Please help me stick to my guns - advice welcome

A potential customer was referred to me last week.  I knew when I spoke with her on the phone that this would be challenging - lots of work to be done but customer doesn't want to pay lots.  I had her come to my home/studio.  In she walked with nine projects:

1) 2 tops pieced; we measured for backing fabric and binding which she is to provide.  I'm having a sale on quilting from tax day to Mother's Day - so this one was easy.

2) Almost 50 shirts for a t-shirt quilt for her son.  She brought daughter's along as an example.  Daughters is almost queen sized; she paid her quilter $150 for it (piecing and quilting).

3) Shirt squares with interfacing already on them, cut and ready to make five lap size quilts for nephews.

4) Shirts, no interfacing, cut up by her niece for a t-shirt quilt.  Again 50+ shirts.

When I do t-shirt quilts, I usually charge by the shirt block assuming that most of the blocks will be the same size, that I provide interfacing, backing, sashing, binding, and batting.  In this case, she will provide all materials and may do the ironing for the interfacing. 

The only way I see to handle this is to charge a flat hourly rate for cutting out blocks, piecing and binding plus my normal charges for quilting.  Her previous quilter was a 'friend' who now is no longer quilting (I may know why).  When I suggested the hourly rate, she blanched and it was only $10/hour.  I would normally charge $15, but for the volume of the work I'm willing to cut her some slack; I'm just not willing to work for minimum wage.  I've written her a polite email restating the cost for quilting the two quilts that are already pieced and noting that I can't afford to work for less than the $10/hour.

Any suggestions on how to remain tactful but to still stand my ground are welcome.

Lynn

Whoa !   She wants a LOT done for very little $$$.    After making two queen size t-shirt quilts this winter using 30 shirts in each one, i KNOW that $150 is not enough.   Mine were made as gifts, but for a paying customer..........no way would I do it for $150.  I just did an all over meander on these quilts and figured IF I had charged for that, it would be been at least $175.   That wouldn't include the time piecing them.    Does she want sashings and all that, too.   50 shirts for one quilt is a lot unless some can be cut down narrow to work in.   I don't even think your $10 an hour is enough.   

This person is using you.  I bet her 'friend' was not a friend but another quilter who sent her packing.  If you are going to do business with her, then make sure everything is documented - exactly what you are going to provide and the work you are going to do and include the cost.   Make sure it is high enough to compensate you for your time and expertise.   Then, if she still wants you to go ahead, have her give you a deposit of at least 1/2 the money.   There was a case recently where the customer walked away from a $400 bill.   The judge awarded the quilter  ownership of the t-shirt quilts.  Whoopie!  Valueless to someone else other than the person for whom the t-shirt memories were made for.

I wouldn't be working for $10 an Hour, ask her to find someone at McDonalds that could do the work for that!

Give her a quote for each project individually that DOES compensate you for all the time it will take you.

Let her decide whether she wants to go ahead with them being completed.

repeat after all of us

YOU ARE NOT IN THIS BUSINESS TO MAKE SOMEONE ELSE's HOBBY AFFORDABLE!

Documentation will be critical - thanks for the reminder:)  And yes, if I wanted work for free, I would focus on my own projects.

Whatever we do, I expect payment after each quilt is completed.  There is no way that I would work on multiple projects and then get stiffed on the final bill.

This isn't even this woman's hobby - she doesn't even piece the tops - she just likes giving memory quilts to family members.  I applaud the gifts - not the expecation to be able to give them for low $$$$'s.

Lynn

Yes, yes, and yes! Ditto to all the above advice. Stand firm and don't let her badger you into lowering your prices. Believe me, if she could find someone else to do it for less than that price, she would have.

I might add that since you haven't heard a confirmation from her you still have the option to back out gracefully. Accept those projects you want and decline the rest. Perhaps accept the ready-to-quilt ones and not the ones where the per-hour charge applies. Tell her you've received counseling from "experts" and your "accountant" who have advised you to revise your per-hour charge to a realistic level and you must regretfully decline her business. ;)

I don't quilt or make quilts for others from scratch but I do own a business that charges by the hour. Thirty years ago I charged $10/hour. Today I would never consider doing any work that I am getting paid "a fair price" for $10/hour. The man who cuts my lawn gets quite a bit more than $10/hour. Please reconsider what your time is worth. Also, as others have said, have every detail written down and make sure the client has a copy of what you are doing and what she wants - make this a formal contract. If I was doing the work that she wants, I would charge more like $50 to $75/hour minimum. After all, while you are creating the quilts, you are not doing anything else that you will be getting paid for. You are the professional!

Oh my... some people :wacko:   I certainly would NOT allow this person bully you into spending your time and expertise on making quilts for her and not be paid accordingly!  I bet she would find fault with every little thing and then not want to pay you properly.  I would RUN RUN RUN... it just isn't worth it. 

r

Lynn,

It sounds like you're already doing a good job of standing your ground, and the experts here have offered very sound advice. May I offer one more suggestion? First, let me note I do not quilt for others, or make quilts from scratch for others. What I make is for myself, or given to others with love, and the knowledge that they have no idea what really goes into the gifts I give them. 

That being said, why not give her a couple of options.

Option 1: "When I make T-shirt quilts, I use 'this' layout, x # of shirts, x width sashing, using 'this' type fabric for the sashings, and I do all the cutting and ironing. You provide/choose the shirts, backing and batting. I can do this for $Xxx" and give her a price that is worth the work you are doing. (smile sweetly, keep mouth shut, teeth clenched if necessary)

Option 2: "If you prefer a custom design, using many more shirts, I can do that as well, but the rate is $xx per hour, including design, layout, cutting, ironing, sewing, quilting, and binding. I really can't do this for any less. While consulting with my acountant, he pointed out how much money I would actually be losing by working for less. I could quilt x # of queen size tops in the amount of time it will take to do this custom quilt. Since I'm paying him (your accountant) $75/hour I really must seriously consider his advice." (smile sweetly, keep mouth shut, teeth clenched if necessary) 

Option 3: I'm more that happy to quilt the pieced tops for you, but I really don't believe this is the best time for me to branch out into custom quilt jobs, at least not at this point in my career. (smile sweetly, keep mouth shut, teeth clenched if necessary)

Just a couple ideas. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I do not quilt for others; and believe all of the above  advice is great.   An acquaintance wanted me to make her a quilt and she would pay me minimum wage.  I regretfully declined.  Offered her the opportunity that I would keep track of hours and we could  trade services.  She could clean for me and I would piece and quilt a quilt for her.   Thought that more than fair as she had no investment , except time.  I had time plus all of the other items it takes to make and quilt a quilt.  She thought I was being outrageously unfair.  And that is the way it ended.  Wasn't I lucky!!!!

So get well paid for all of your abilities, time and wear and tear on all of your quilting goodies.   You are worth a lot more than $10/hr.

Marilyn

Yes, wear and tear on your machine(s) needs to be included; not just what she "thinks" your labor is worth. I'm with all the others who posted; offer to quilt the tops that are ready at your current sale price and respectfully decline the rest.

Lynn,

Ditto on all of this advice, unfortunately you run into one of these types of customers every now and then, just remember that whatever you decide, you need to feel comfortable about your decision.  But I would not charge her less than what your going quilting rate per hour is.  And since it is your business, it is your decision!

Here's another bit of perspective for you to consider.

If you are concerned that you'll hurt her feelings or your reputation if you are firm and professional--she sought you out. You are one of many that she tries this technique on. She sometimes wins and sometimes loses when she bargains for a better price. If you turn her away, she'll search for a new person without another thought of you. It's a game and she knows how to play it well. You might be her last resort if she's run out of locals and she may be happy to pay a reasonable price. I wouldn't say she's mean-spirited or "evil" ;) -- this is probably just how she does business--with everyone! 

Can you imagine her at a grocery store looking for dented cans and asking for a discount? Or getting the oil changed and wondering if there's a way to reduce the charges? She probably thinks of herself as frugal and savvy--and saves a lot of $$$ along the way.

I think in a lot of people's minds they consider our quilting as "just a nice hobby" and we would be ever so grateful for the chance to make something for them for free or CHEAP because it is "just our hobby".   For those who are in a business, it makes it worse because that "business" isn't really considered as valuable as a plumber or mechanic where they pay big bucks for their services.   I have 2 cleaning gals who come every other week.  They EACH get $20 an hour, but they do a great job and I am happy to pay them.   Stick to your guns.   Maybe you need to work up a price sheet for charges for this and for that so she and others can see up front just what it will cost them.

Good luck.

Ditto Linda!

I was thinking, if she had someone piece her daughters HUGE t-shirt quilt for $150 then take the others back there?!

Good Luck - it's so hard to tell these people no when you're a want to help kind of person - but remember, if they have the "gall" to ask then they shouldn't mind being told no.  I can't believe some of the things people ask my sister to do for them because she's a sweet, helpful person - I tell her if they can be that brass and bold then she can be right back!

Today I called to get help digging out some stumps from large shrubs I cut down.  The charge was $32/man hour and he would send out 2 men ($64/hr).  I shut off Milli and grabbed the shovel and my husband and 2 hours later we had the stumps out.  So we shouldn't sell ourselves short.

Lynn:  I've thought about what you said, and discussed it with my wife today.  We're both of the same opinion, YOU DON"T NEED THIS PERSON AS A CUSTOMER!  She will be bad for your business.  She'll take up your time, tell everyone how inexpensively you'll do anything for them, and then probably bad mouth you besides.  Send her packing.  Just MHO.  Jim

To Jim and Others,

Thank you for all the reminders about not selling oneself short.  I had an email from another area quilter who reads this forum; this customer had previously contacted her.  So, she is making the rounds of quilters.  As Linda R. generously pointed out, this may just make her a bargain shopper and not necessarily anything else.

She left two pieced tops with me and is supposed to provide backing and binding fabric.  I think that I will do those two quilts and call it quits on the rest.  I still haven't heard back from her on my email to her.

Lynn

It is difficult to work these things out face to face when she is throwing so many projects and ideas at you at once. Use the KISS method and keep it simple. Go over each project one at a time and price it on its own , with no regard for the other 8 things she wants you to do. Then simply say "This is the price for this project, do you want me to do it?" Get a firm yes or no, then move on to the next one. And avoid her 'help' of preparing the t-shirts. I find that people expect a big price cut for doing part of the work, then I lose money because of the extra work of fixing or working around what they have done.

Archived