Blue Star finished with pictures / Before Quilting

Here are my before and after pictures (I adore before and after pictures) of the Blue Star. I got real brave (this being a practice quilt and all) and tried the bump bump feathers. Rather a disaster when one looks close, but I am surprised how good it looks from a distance! Maybe I'll specialize in quilting for the partially sighted. :D

Among many thing I learned here: Don't use variegated thread when doing bump bump! And I need more practice on making the feathers cover all the area and I'd like to know the secret of how to do judge the sizes when feathers curl back upon themselves.

It probably has to do with PPP.

post--13461901182493_thumb.jpg

I think you did an excellent job!! I even looked close up WITH MY GLASSES and I STILL think you did an excellent job:P:P How much marking did you do? Just the spines or the entire feathers?

After watching Myrna's Fowlproof Feathers and doing the LAU Challenge over New Years, I can do the free form feathers okay. I'm still practicing the bump, bump ones, over and over and over (just for you Darlene!), but still haven't tried much in the way of quilting them.

You should be proud of the job you did. They're beautiful.

Ann...you did a nice job on the feathers. I really do wish I could quilt like most of you gals. I seem to be stuck in a rut right now. I have done so many meanders on charity quilts I can't see anything else. I may have to practice feathers and swirls. I think this quilt is beautiful...your quilting added alot to this quilt.

Ann, if there is any thing to sneeze at or doubt in that quilt I sure can't see it. I was told it's not necessary to make the feathers fill every inch of the block or area.. I like the way you have a few spacers in them and it eases trying to figure out what is which and where is why. Great job. so pretty, too .

RitaR

Ann

those feathers are just to die for. i love the before and after pictures too, it is amazing the difference in how the quilt looks. Did I see some hooked featers in the bottom right hand side triangle of the last picture of the front? great work on the entire quilt you really dazzled this quilt

Thanks for all your nice comments. I didn't show close close-ups because the mistakes show, but we see it so close and we judge it so close. I was so happily surprised at how good it looks from a distance.

With the blue pen, I drew in just the spines and made a little mark where the feathers curled on themselves so I would have room for feathers from both sides. Didn't always do that part so well, but I'm a beginner and I'm happy with my practice progress.

Those of you who are doing charity quilts - what better place to practice feathers? The recipient won't know who you are and is not a likely future customer, and you'll never have to see the quilt again. I consider my "pay" for charity quilts to be whatever it is I learned doing it. I use the charity quilts to practice a new pantograph or for feather practice. Too bad about those boy quilts with feathers :P. . . but small quilts are for small boys, and I think they don't object to feathers.

Yes, there are a few hooked feathers that crept in there when I wasn't paying attention. . .

Ann, this turned out beautifully! I think you are doing great on your bbfeathers! I'm not seeing many open spaces but you could always go back and do some fills if they bother you. Echo both sides till they meet, or maybe stick some pebbles in there. Just more ppp to make something you aren't crazy about more pleasing to your eye instead ripping. I know if there is something catching my eye that I don't like that's what I'll see everytime unless I fix it. A little OCD I guess!

Archived