repurposing

if you read my blog you know i'm always on a search to find unusual things to 'repurpose' into something more fun. so i saw this idea on a blog using bird seed bags, i just did it with barneys food bag. plus it's my fav color GREEN! it's that no rip woven plastic....it took less than an hour to make it. it took longer to do the math so i could get the biggest tote possible from what i had.

pretty cool huh?

post--13461902169617_thumb.jpg

Shannon, how cool is that? So will this be a grocery bag, take along project bag!!!!!! Is that lining I see or just the regular inside of the bag?

"Repurposing" anything is great thing. I became very dissillusioned with recycling when we operated the local landfills. It was sad to see so many items that could be recycled just tossed out! But even the recycle programs are a joke. People go to alot of work to recycle, they feel they are doing a little to save the planet....I was stunned when I found out that 90% of the items collected at the recycle stations ends up in the landfill anyway!!!

Keep up the good work Shannon, we'll save this planet yet, even if it is one dogfood bag at a time!

Love the bag!

thanks girls, and guys!

it wasn't overly hard to sew thru, i just recommend a jeans/heavy duty needle. regular piecing thread was a smidge to thin, so i used coats and clarks star machine quilting thread (it's what i had) and also when sewing, use a long stitch length, i went to a 8 or 9 per inch. it is slippery, but it doesn't have to be perfect. use a scrap piece of the bag folded over to adjust your tension. when i went to 'hem' the edges, i just used that roller thing i bought for pressing semas when i paper pieced...seemed to work just great!

the handle are strips cut from the bag that are appox 20" long, folded into thirds and top stitched down. then i just sewed them to the edge of the bag stitching the 'X' on it for reinforcement. no it's not lined- that's the inside of the bag showing- it's white.

and dory- i thought immediately of you when doing this cause feed bags are pretty much made from the same thing....too bad they're not colored tho...

Originally posted by doodlebug

and dory- i thought immediately of you when doing this cause feed bags are pretty much made from the same thing....too bad they're not colored tho...

Yep, they're boring and white and the stupid things are woven, so the strings are EVERYWHERE when you open a new bag. Some of the specialty feeds we use though might work...hmmmmmmmm Now I'll have to go home and check

Hey Shannon GREAT bag!! I love it. I too think you should market them. I would buy one for a quilt tote. We don't have the nice plastic here for dog food it is paper. BUT if you don't decide to sell them I will check with scrap (our area recycling store) for artsy stuffand get the plastic sheeting there.

BTW the thread guide is wonderful. I have good tension and great stitches on top and bottom now. Many thanks.

Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

just a heads up- i am literally working on two more bags and i intend to have a tutorial on my blog either tonight or tomorrow morning....

just in case you were wondering :P

also, i went to wally world this afternoon for 'fabric' and i looked around- cat litter, cat food, dog food, and bird seed comes in the correct type of bags. i also noticed that most Purina products were in this type of bag. also walmart's brand of dog food "ol roy" comes in these bags too and they have a purple one and a red one...but my dogs don't eat ole roy....but i'll add this also- this is maybe the second time i've gotten dogfood on these type of bags. usually it is in the paper type bags...so you just have to keep an eye out.

Dexter is on Purina One so his food comes in the same type of bag but is red. What size bag did you use to make the bag? I think I have two of the type needed as Dexter's food is in 18 pound bags and I was keeping them for garbage. Using it for a tote is much more fun.

Pamela

Archived