NQR but asking for prayers

My friend Kelley's 17 year old daughter was murdered early in the morning yesterday.  I can't comprehend the pain she is dealing with. Kelley came to the funeral home when Elmer was there. I have not been able to pick up the phone to even call her. What words do you say?  Please pray for the family.

After almost losing our son at the age of 18 (in a coma for 4 months), I know that the words spoken often do more harm than good, even tho' they mean well.

Just your presence and soft touch will be enough. Her heart will know your heart I'm sure! Prayers for you both, and all the extended families.

OMG !!!!!!  How awful !    Write her a nice letter.........easier to get your thoughts down on paper than trying to speak them sometimes.    When good friends of our lost their 17 year son to suicide, I sat and wrote for hours and then mailed it.   I just could not bring myself to talk to her on the phone.   We live across the country from each other and it was many years before I saw her face to face.   Even then, it was hard.   

Oh, Cheri, what in the world happened?  Are they having to deal with not knowing who or why?  She was so young!  I agree that just being there is enough.  When Daddy died and my nephew died we had a two couples who just came and stood and "were there!"  We appreciated them so much!  They would listen and when we'd say we needed something (like cups and napkins) they ran out and got them without saying a word.  We felt so close to them but they said very little.  Prayers continuing for you and now for your friends.

Just showing your support and a shoulder to lean/cry on is the best.

Murder just seems so senseless! Five years ago I lost a good friend to murder. He stopped at a gas station on his way home to grab a powerball ticket. He was shot and robbed for $5.00 and some change.......senseless!

There is a national organization called 'Parents of Murdered Children".  Maybe you could google and find out if there is a chapter in your area and later on when you feel appropriate give the family the information.  Years ago I attended Compassion Friends and we had some parents who had lost children through murder come to our meetings but they also attended Parents of Murdered Children.  

Cheri, bless you! I wouldn't know what to say either. It's hard to know what someone is really going through in a time like this, but I'm sure your friendship means a lot to her and just a hug would be a comfort. I'm so sorry for your friend's loss. It's a horrible thing to hear someone has taken another's life. She's in my prayers.

Oh, Cheri, this is such a tragedy. I can only imagine what your dear friend must be going through, and you also as a friend of the family.  This may be one of those times when words just can't cut it but your tender touch will.  I'm so sorry you are going through this, also, Cheri, with your own deep heartache.  ((Hugs)) to you and prayers to you all.

The details are being released now.........she was raped and strangled.

From the news:

Police say it appeared the teen put up a fight before she was killed.

Hooten, 49  has a violent criminal history, including rape, sexual battery, and sodomy charges in both Indiana and Georgia dating all the way back to 1993

Why in God's name was he out to hurt again? Tara would have been 18 next Sunday. 

Wow, this is a parent's absolute worst nightmare. What is there to say?

My heart hurts for this mother and her family, and for you, Cheri- you have already had such heartbreak of your own. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Archived